Thursday, November 18, 2010

Growing up is hard to do!?!?

My six year old had a new revelation to share with us last night! She had the notion that because her classmate is allowed to wear a training bra (at age 6) that she too, needs one. I was literally dumbfounded and didn't know what to say or how to react. How do I explain to a 6 yr old that she's not yet developed in that way? How do I clearly inform her that just because another 6 yr olds mom thought this was a wonderful gesture (perhaps to wean her little one out of her early and innocent youth and into womanhood) isn’t what 6 yr olds need...AT ALL!!!

I honestly don't know what this mom was thinking (or not thinking for that matter) when she purchased an unnecessary piece of undergarment which will eventually be a necessity in a young girls life, and throughout her life thereafter ultimately becoming a nuisance! What happened to letting kids be kids, and allowing them the innocence that we so wish we could have held onto before growing up into “mature” and “wise” adults?

I know I’m getting way too caught up with this one act of mindlessness, but I do know that I would never allow my pure and innocent little 6 year to walk around with a bra. Especially because the bras we used to know, which were meant to serve as a comfort feminine item, now take on a totally different meaning. NOW an undergarment requires sexy strap on lingerie pieces, and wings (on top of it all) to go with it! The marketing geniuses behind it all wants average women to admire these undergarments on beautiful, desirable women that strut the runways wearing them while they have 8 foot wings attached to their backs, and 6 inch heels on their feet! In my opinion, this makes your regular bra wearing everyday normal woman seem a little "odd"-especially if she’s not comfortable with the idea of wearing a bra just because it’s sexy!

Ok so I’m being a little hard on those who desire a little sexiness in their lives and yes perhaps I am a little guilty of admiring my own femininity, but I’m an adult with good sound judgment. And these suggestive ads and products aren’t necessarily a good influence on our young girls and conceivably not on their moms who lack better judgment so they get sucked into it all because it’s stridently promoted! I don’t know how to help them, that’s for sure, but that’s just my thought on it for now….feel free to share yours! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment